[Nut-upsuser] Master privileges unavailable on UPS, no access :(

Jonathan Dion dion.jonathan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:24:52 UTC 2006

Hi !

I see two problem in your configuration :

On 8/16/06, Martin Ivanov <tramni at abv.bg> wrote:
> Hello!
> After I type "upsmon", in syslog the following message appears:
> Aug 16 14:11:09 marto upsmon[7731]: Master privileges unavailable on UPS [Inform at localhost]
> Aug 16 14:11:09 marto upsmon[7731]: Reason: Access denied
> Can you tell me where my error is, my configuration files are:
> ups.conf:
> [Inform]
> driver = powercom
> port = /dev/ttyS0
> desc = "inform guard"
> linevoltage = 220
> type = KIN1500AP
> upsd.conf:
> ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
>
> ACCEPT localhost
> REJECT all
> ups.users:

The file containing the users information should be nammed upsd.users
don't forget the "d"

> root

User names declaration must be in bracket, like the ups declaration :
[root]

> password = pwd
> allowfrom = localhost
> actions = SET
> instcmds = ALL
> marto

Same here : [marto]

> password = pwd
> allowfrom = localhost
> upsmon master
> upsmon.conf:
> MONITOR Inform at localhost 1 marto pwd master
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
> Regards,
> Martin

Like this, the parser didn't recognize user declaration. It interprets
all the lines as global settings, and as upsd don't support any global
setting for users for the moment, it drops it (without any warning
message). Then upsd don't know any user. Upsd don't verify if users
have been declarated, so no warning message neither (For some tools
like upsc for instance, users declaration aren't needed)

So of course upsd rejects upsmon when it try to connect with user marto.

Cheer,

Jonathan Dion