[Nut-upsuser] Master privileges unavailable on UPS, no access :(

Jonathan Dion dion.jonathan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 09:01:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 8/17/06, Martin Ivanov <tramni at abv.bg> wrote:
> So, this is the result of upsc Inform at localhost with the UPS connected to the mains:
> battery.charge: 97.7
> driver.name: powercom
> driver.parameter.linevoltage: 220
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
> driver.parameter.type: KIN1500AP
> driver.version: 2.0.4
> driver.version.internal: $ Revision: 0.5 $
> input.frequency: 49.61
> input.voltage: 236.3
> input.voltage.nominal: 220
> output.frequency: 49.10
> output.voltage: 236.3
> ups.load: 38.9
> ups.mfr: PowerCom
> ups.model: Unknown
> ups.model.type: KIN1500AP
> ups.serial: Unknown
> ups.status: OL
>
> and this is the same, but with the UPS disconnected from the mains:
>
> battery.charge: 145.0
> driver.name: powercom
> driver.parameter.linevoltage: 220
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
> driver.parameter.type: KIN1500AP
> driver.version: 2.0.4
> driver.version.internal: $ Revision: 0.5 $
> input.frequency: 0.00
> input.voltage: -0.1
> input.voltage.nominal: 220
> output.frequency: 49.61
> output.voltage: 34.5
> ups.load: 153.0
> ups.mfr: PowerCom
> ups.model: Unknown
> ups.model.type: KIN1500AP
> ups.serial: Unknown
> ups.status: OB

I'm afraid you may be right, your UPS may not be supported by the
driver you use, because having a charge of 145% and a ups.load of 153%
is... quite strange ^_^

> Mister, I am afraid I do not dare experiment with the UPS, forcing it into "LB" status. Once already I had to replace my UPS because of wreck battery, so I do not want to risk it once again. I really feel quite content with my system's power control now. The PC switches off 30 sec after the power failure and the UPS is far from "LB" status at that time. It goes on buzzing, but I think it is safe, for the power consumption from it is minimal. Am I not right? The same would happen if my PC is off, there is nobody at home and the power fails: the UPS will start buzzing until the power returns.

Yes, without the load of the PC, your UPS can buzz longer than with a
charge (obviously). But how many time... it depends on your UPS model.
It can be hours, or days. Normally, UPS should have a protection and
shutdown themselves if the battery is too low, but with some low price
model, there could not be such a protection. I cannot help you on this
point, try asking the manufacturer.

> And if it happens that there are two short power falures one exactly 30 sec after the other, my PC will shutdown. Ok, having in mind the possibility for such a thing to happen, I do not find it quite annoying really :). Of course if you do not see some significant potential problem in all that.
> And concerning the UPS shutdown,
> I remind you my notifyme script:
>
> echo `date` >> /root/upsLog
> echo " No power, shutting down the system!" >> /root/upsLog
> sleep 30
> control=`/usr/local/ups/bin/upsc Inform at localhost ups.status`
> if [ $control != OL ]
> then
> /sbin/telinit 0
> fi
>
> I tried adding the line: "touch /etc/powerdown" to the "notifyme" script and the lines:
>
> if (test -f /etc/powerdown)
> then
> echo "Killing the power, bye!"
> /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl shutdown
>
> sleep 120
>
> fi
>
> to the /etc/rc.d/rc.6 script, but when I simulated a power failure, the system shut down, but the UPS did not. I think I did not add the lines at the correct place in the rc.6 script, or probably there is poor communication between the UPS and the software, for I am not sure the software I am using is for my UPS. In Slackware, rc.6 is the script that is executed when the system goes to runlevel 0 or 6.
> Besides, I am not quite sure whether I need to make the UPS itself go down in case of power failure, because if it does not go down, it has the chance to get charged when power returns.
> So what would you recommend to me? Make the UPS itself power off after system shutdown in case of power failure, or leave it buzzing till power returns? Remember, ny system is configured to shutdown well before the ups.status becomes "LB".
> In case you advise me to make the UPS go down itself after the system shutdown, I will be thankful to you if you tell me if the method I suggest to achieve that is working and where in the shutdown script I need to add it?

I never worked on the shutdown of UPSs, so I cannot help on this
point. As you said, it is either a mistake you made, that your UPS
don't support shutdown command or that the driver you use don't know
how to properly ask the UPS to shutdown (or maybe a mix of the three
^_^)

Perhaps someone that better know the shutdown process can help you
better than me.

> Thank you for your responsiveness.
> Regards,
> Martin