[Nut-upsuser] Powerdown on FreeBSD

Johan Pramming johan at pramming.net
Thu Aug 17 12:22:28 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I just bought a Trust 1000VA PW-4105 UPS.

I installed the UPS on FreeBSD 6.1, and installed NUT 2.0.3 via the FreeBSD
port.

I had no problems installing and configuring nut and the UPS to run with the
PowerMust driver.

My problem however is when I test the powerdown function by issuing the
command: 'upsmon -c fsd'

The UPS is cutting the power before the shutdown procedure of FreeBSD is
done.

I have added the following to /etc/rc.shutdown:

if (test -f /etc/killpower)

   then

        echo "Killing the power, bye!"

        /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl shutdown

fi

I dropped the sleep command, as it doesn't have the desired effect on
FreeBSD.

After looking in the mailing list archives I found out that you can add a
delay on the powerdown for some UPS.

My UPS is using the PowerMust driver, and I could not find any such
directive to put in the ups.conf for that driver.

I have tried to set the variable ups.delay.shutdown to 20, but it didn't
have any effect on the powerdown.

In the UPS COMMANDS section of the driver man page it says:

ups.delay.shutdown

              Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command (seconds)

#  upsc trustups at localhost

battery.charge: 96.3

battery.voltage: 27.1

battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0

driver.name: powermust

driver.parameter.port: /dev/cuad0

driver.version: 2.0.3

driver.version.internal: 1.1

input.voltage: 222.4

input.voltage.fault: 222.8

input.voltage.maximum: 224.8

input.voltage.minimum: 216.6

output.frequency: 50.0

output.voltage: 219.9

output.voltage.target.battery: 230.0

ups.delay.shutdown: 20

ups.delay.start: 30

ups.load: 30.0

ups.mfr: Mustek

ups.model: PowerMust

ups.serial: unknown

ups.status: OL

I have been google'ing a lot, but haven't been able to find at solution to
the problem.

Is it at all possible with the PowerMust driver?

Any help I very much appreciated.

Thank you

Regards,

Johan Pramming