[Nut-upsuser] Shutdown after 5 minutes?

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Aug 26 14:43:36 UTC 2006

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Rob wrote:
> > I've seen the same behavior when using the cpsups driver on Debian
> > Unstable, but haven't had time to try to track it down.  Where are the
> > shutdown timings configured?  From the manpages it looks to be
> > configured in the driver, but the cpsups driver manpage says it doesn't
> > support any options, so how would I check on the shutdown configuration?
>
> FWIW: I am using the Powermust driver for a Sweex 800VA UPS.
>
> I was expecting the driver to monitor the battery.charge of the UPS and
> shutdown when reaching a sufficiently low percentage (with some time to
> spare for a proper shutdown).

No, upsmon usually just waits for the "low battery" event. On some
devices/drivers, this may correspond to a specific battery charge (and
may even be configurable in some cases). But typically, it is just
pre-set in the hardware.

> I did not find a setting to configure this.
>
> In /etc/ups I have:
>
> -rw-r-----  1 root nut   3764 Jun 28 16:40 ups.conf
> -rw-r-----  1 root nut   1364 May 16 16:28 upsd.conf
> -rw-r-----  1 root nut   2201 Apr 14 19:21 upsd.users
> -rw-r-----  1 root nut  11178 Apr 16 13:49 upsmon.conf
> -rw-r-----  1 root nut   3884 May 16 16:28 upssched.conf
>
> upssched.conf is mostly empty, just a pointer to a script.
> upsmon.conf defines shutdown, short delays and the amoutn of supplies we
> expect in a healthy situation.
> upsd.users defines my admin user.
> upsd.conf sets who can access upsd.
> ups.conf configures myups on a port with a driver.
>
> Where can I influence the behaviour when power is lost?

Upsmon is responsible for monitoring and reacting to power events.
See also the man pages for upsmon(8), upsmon.conf(5), upssched(8), and
upssched.conf(5).

There could be many reasons your Windows machine lasts longer than
your Linux machine on their respective UPSs. Perhaps the battery on
the second one is older, or has lost some of its charge, or is lower
quality... Batteries tend to wear out quite easily, especially if they
are discharged and recharged a few times.

Did you try switching the two machines?

-- Peter