[Nut-upsuser] right problem with ups belkin (model who work with

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Dec 27 23:48:38 CET 2006

Marc Collin wrote:

> Le mercredi 27 d=E9cembre 2006 00:29, vous avez =E9crit=A0:
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > the answer to your question is contained in the file INSTALL,
> > distributed with NUT, section 6 "Set ownership data and permissions on
> > your serial or USB ports that go to your UPS hardware."
> >
> > Quote:
> >
> >     "The setup for USB ports is slightly more complicated. Device
> >     files for USB devices, such as /proc/bus/usb/002/001, are usually
> >     created "on the fly" when a device is plugged in, and disappear
> >     when the device is disconnected.  Moreover, the names of these
> >     device files can change randomly. To set up the correct
> >     permissions for the USB device, you may need to set up (operating
> >     system dependent) hotplugging scripts.  Sample scripts and
> >     information are provided in the scripts/hotplug and
> >     scripts/hotplug-ng directories. (If you want to try if a driver
> >     works without setting up hotplugging, you can add the "-u root"
> >     option to upsd, upsmon, and drivers; this should allow you to
> >     follow the below instructions. However, don't forget to set up the
> >     correct permissions later!)."
> >
> > Note that /dev/hiddev0 is not mentioned anywhere in these instructions
> > - for good reason, because NUT does not use this device to access the
> > USB port.
> >
> > Since you are apparently on Linux, you may also find the instructions
> > at http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ups/backups.html helpful; they
> > are for an APC but should work analogously for Belkin.
> >
> > -- Peter
>
> i don't have a PhD
>
> /etc/init.d/boot.local
> /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl -u root start
> /usr/local/ups/sbin/upsd -u root
> /usr/local/ups/sbin/upsmon
>
> do the job

Good! This will work fine, if you don't mind running the driver as
"root".

If you would like to run the driver without "-u root" (as I assumed
you wanted to do from your previous message), then the above
instructions might still help.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to the
mailing list (please don't reply to me personally).

Thanks, -- Peter