[Nut-upsuser] close pc

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Fri Dec 29 22:35:02 CET 2006

Marc Collin wrote:

> i think nut close the computer when the battery is low...
> is there a way to close it after a few time is electricity is off?

This is in the FAQ (docs/FAQ):

 Q: How can I make upsmon shut down my system after some fixed interval?

 A: You probably don't want to do this, since it doesn't maximize your
    runtime on battery.  Assuming you have a good reason for it (see
    the next entry), then look at upssched.txt or the upssched man
    page for some ideas.

 Q: Why doesn't upsmon shut down my system?  I pulled the plug and
    nothing happened.

 A: Wait.  upsmon doesn't consider a UPS to be critical until it's both
    'on battery' and 'low battery' at the same time.  This is by design.
    Nearly every UPS supports the notion of detecting the low battery
    all by itself.  When the voltage drops below a certain point, it
    _will_ let you know about it.

    If your system has a really complicated shutdown procedure, you
    might need to shut down before the UPS raises the low battery flag.
    For most users, however, the default behavior is adequate.

    Ask yourself this: why buy a nice big UPS with the matching battery
    and corresponding runtime and then shutdown early?  If anything, I'd
    rather have a few more minutes running on battery during which the
    power might return.  Once the power's back, it's business as usual
    with no visible interruption in service.

    If you purposely shut down early, you guarantee an interruption in
    service by bringing down the box.

    See upssched.txt for information on how you can shutdown early if
    this is what you really want to do.