[Nut-upsuser] Device not found--newhidups, FreeBSD 4.10, CyperPower 685AVR

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 18:46:47 UTC 2006

On 2/5/06, Matt Staroscik <matt at wrongcrowd.com> wrote:
> I've been using nut with a serial device for a while, but today I tried
> hooking up this new CyberPower 685 unit via newhidups--since it seemed
> better supported over USB than serial, based on reading the list
> archives and cvs logs. Unfortunately, I can't connect to it.
>
> My system sees the device:
>
>        uhid1: CPS UPS BF700, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/0

The problem is that once the *BSD uhid driver claims a USB HID device,
it is no longer available to libusb (which I believe uses ugen).

Linux has an ioctl() to ask the kernel to relinquish control of a USB
device; however, we haven't heard back from any *BSD users about ways
to get around this.

One hack would be to use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and disable the
ugen driver completely, or to "blacklist" your UPS in the uhid module.

--
- Charles Lepple