[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite is up to no good

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:46:10 UTC 2006

On 2/8/06, Kenneth Tindle <ktindle at uky.edu> wrote:
> At 12:59 PM 2/8/2006 -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
> >1) edit source code, replace 3003 with 3004, see what breaks
>
> Pretty much everything.
>
> I changed to 3004, and got fake happy messages.  But all the items
> the driver enumerates by messages at startup are wrong (like input
> and battery voltages of zero, etc.)
>
> Of course, the really critical thing is to see if the OL status does
> or does not change to reflect reality.  I'll have to finish the
> installation of nut to tell- I'm not optimistic.

Yeah, sorry that it isn't obvious from the debug messages. I already
had a complete NUT installation on the machine where I did my testing.

> BTW, there is a 3005 protocol as well, used in the new LCD display
> desktop UPS systems from Tripp Lite.  Isn't that sweet?

As a hardware person, it's another intriguing opportunity to do some
reverse engineering. As a developer on a project that people expect to
help protect their critical systems, it's a bit of a pain.

As Russell Kroll (the original NUT author) put it, the way to get a
driver is to turn an owner of that UPS into a developer, or turn a
developer into an owner of that equipment. No guarantees as to what we
can do in either case, but the latter case is how the 1001
tripplite_usb driver was written.

--
- Charles Lepple