[Nut-upsuser] Status of tripplite_usb driver?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 23:50:11 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Gregory Gulik <greg at gulik.org> wrote:

>  I have a Tripp Lite SMART1500 RMXL2U UPS and I'd love to be able to access
> it via USB.  I found that the latest NUT sources in CVS has a driver that
> looks like it might work.
>
>  Any chance that driver would work the my UPS?

It sounds similar to a rack-mount unit that I tested once.

>  Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation not
> permitted)

We need to make this a little more obvious in the install
instructions, but you need to either run the driver as root (only
advisable for short-term testing) or change ownership of the
appropriate /proc/bus/usb/XYZ/ABC node (best done in hotplug scripts,
because some devices occasionally disconnect due to noise on the USB
lines). The hotplug stuff depends on your particular distribution.

--
- Charles Lepple