[Nut-upsuser] Problems starting upsd with newhidups

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:10:26 UTC 2006

2006/2/27, John Gruenenfelder:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 08:07:45PM +0100, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >2006/2/25, John Gruenenfelder :
> >>
> >> I read the two bug reports and it certainly seemed like the likely culprit.
> >> However, after I installed the 2.0.3-2 packages the problem remains.  The
> >> symptoms are unchanged from my original email.  I still get:
> >>

> >ok, I think we were on the wrong way. the below one should be the
> >source of the problem:
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=354262
> >
> >To validate, search for the right /proc/bus/usb/X/Y (where X and Y can
> >be looked up with lsusb) and check the right of it. It should still be
> >root:root.
> >Changing this to root:nut (and 660) should solve the isssue...
> >
> >I'll wait a bit more and upload -3 tomorrow.
> >
> >Arnaud
>
> Yup, that did the trick.  Thanks!
> At first, I tried running "upsd -u root" to verify and it still didn't work.
> But everything ran fine when I used the init script.
>
> In order for the programs to be happy, I still had to modify the init script
> to add "-u root" to the start-stop-daemon command which runs upsd:
>
> start-stop-daemon -S -q -p $upsd_pid -x $upsd -- -u root >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Is there a better way to do this?  Or do I need to adjust some file
> permissions someplace?  NUT was originally installed on this machine in
> September even though I had not yet started using it.  So if the permissions
> are wrong, it could be the result of some cruft left over from then... maybe?

no need, I'll take care of it. It's simply that the script in charge
of setting the perms on the devices (was hotplug, now is udev) wasn't
well included.
As the driver drops root privileges when it has started, the only way
is currently to run the driver as root (really ugly, I know).

2.0.3-3 has just been uploaded with the fix... Just wait a bit for the
buildd to propagate and -3 to be accepted, and you'll be able to
update.

Arnaud