[Nut-upsuser] Misreported values with newhidups

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Tue Feb 28 22:33:59 UTC 2006

Okay, now that I've got NUT up and running with the newhidups driver, I can
give it a quick shakedown.

Most of the values look good, but are few are off.  Here's what I get:

elrond at foxstar:~$ upsc foxstarups at localhost
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.date: 3150/08/01
battery.mfr.date: 2005/03/22
battery.runtime: 1935
battery.runtime.low: 120
battery.temperature: 302.0
battery.voltage: 27.0
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
driver.name: newhidups
driver.parameter.offdelay: 600
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.0.3
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.8
driver.version.internal: 0.28
input.voltage: -6437.0
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 120.0
output.voltage.target.line: 120.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: -1
ups.firmware: 9.o2 .D
ups.firmware.aux: o2
ups.load: 25.0
ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
ups.mfr.date: 2005/03/22
ups.model: Back-UPS BR  800
ups.serial: QB0513140434
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 302.0
ups.test.result: No test initiated

In particular, the bad ones are:
battery.date, battery.temperature, input.voltage, ups.temperature, and maybe
battery.voltage.

battery.date has a very wrong year.

battery.temperature is very high.  The NUT cgi scripts treat this value as a
reading in Celcius, which would seem appropriate.  However, it looks as though
the UPS is actually giving a reading in Kelvin.  302 degrees Kelvin is about
46 degrees Celius.  That's a far more reasonable reading.  The same conversion
would be appropriate for ups.temperature.

input.voltage is just plain wrong.

battery.voltage... I'm not really sure if this is wrong or not.  It's higher
than the nominal voltage of 24V.  Once charged, shouldn't the voltage be near
the "nominal" value?

All of the other values look at least in the ballpark.  The runtime looks
good.  And by turning devices on and off I think the load value is correct to.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.