[Nut-upsuser] Making the driver keeping root privileges

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:12:43 UTC 2006

salut Pierre-Yves,

2006/1/3, Pierre-Yves Aillet <pierreyves.aillet at free.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there is a mean to prevent the driver to drop
> root privileges through config files ?
>
> I have seen the possibility of passing -u root to the driver command
> line. But I don't see how to use it with my rc-scripts without messing
> things badly.
>
> I have also seen the RUN_AS_USER variable but it seems to apply only to
> the upsmon client.

 I don't know why you want to do so, apart for debugging purpose, but it's
really a bad idea.
If it's to override an permissions problems, for example with udev, look at:
- that link for serial ports and udev:

- that ones for USB:
http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/nut/scripts/hotplug-ng/Attic/?cvsroot=nut&only_with_tag=Development

Arnaud