[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower CP1200AVR/BC1200D problems

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Thu Jul 27 23:13:05 UTC 2006

I'm trying to get more information about the problems with the CP1200AVR
  and am connecting to the device through the USB cable.  Since I
haven't received the working driver yet (someone modified the cpsups
driver), I figured I'd start trying to play with some drivers and ran
them in debug mode.  Here's the output from the newhidups run:

/lib/nut/newhidups -u root -a Lysander -DDDD
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.1.0)

debug level is '4'
Checking device (0764/0005) (001/008)
- VendorID: 0764
- ProductID: 0005
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Connection
timed out)

Running the driver seems to cause issues with the 2.6.17 kernel as the
/dev/usb/hiddev0 device disappears after the failed attempt to access
the UPS.  This doesn't happen with the 2.0.3 version of the driver (but
that version also doesn't even recognize the UPS.

The failure to claim the USB device seems troubling to me, unless that
error is because the device node is disappearing after the device check
(which itself it troubling).

I also tried the cpsups driver, but it complains thusly:
cpsups -a Lysander -u root -DDDD
Network UPS Tools -  CyberPower text protocol UPS driver .04 (2.1.0)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

debug level is '4'
tcgetattr(/dev/usb/hiddev0): Invalid argument

genericups with usbtype=22 complains:
genericups -a Lysander -u root -DDDD
Network UPS Tools - Generic UPS driver 1.32 (2.1.0)
debug level is '4'
UPS type: Gamatronic UPSs with alarm interface
ioctl TIOCMSET: Invalid argument

So it looks like the newhidups is the most likely to get working.  Is
that a fair assessment?  Is the problem with the device node a known
problem?  Is there a way to get the dump of the communication traffic
going on between the PC and the UPS?  Any ideas on where to go next?

Rob