[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower CP1200AVR/BC1200D problems

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 02:43:43 UTC 2006

On 7/27/06, Rob <lists at midsummerdream.org> wrote:
> Device matches
> failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Connection
> timed out)
>
> Running the driver seems to cause issues with the 2.6.17 kernel as the
> /dev/usb/hiddev0 device disappears after the failed attempt to access
> the UPS.  This doesn't happen with the 2.0.3 version of the driver (but
> that version also doesn't even recognize the UPS.

If newhidups recognizes an UPS, it will detach the kernel usbhid
driver from the UPS (3rd line quoted above). That should explain the
disappearance of /dev/usb/hiddev0. It will reappear if you unplug and
replug the UPS into the USB port.

> The failure to claim the USB device seems troubling to me, unless that
> error is because the device node is disappearing after the device check
> (which itself it troubling).

The first time we try to claim the device, the kernel usbhid driver is
still in control. After detaching the driver, the claim succeeds

The timeout afterwards is what concerns me.

--
- Charles Lepple