[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower CP1200AVR/BC1200D problems

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Sun Jul 30 20:21:33 UTC 2006

> on a side note..  I've been playing around with my setup with the 1200AVR..
>
> If I yank the plug, the system will run for about 3-5 minutes and just
> shut off.
>
> when I am monitoring the ups from the /cgi-bin/, it will show the ups
> drop to about 65% battery, and then it will start to climb back up and
> hold steady at ~70%.  Then all of a sudden, it'll (the ups) will shut
> off (and not gracefully).  once I reload the system, it shows the
> battery recharging @ ~95%.
>
> you folks have any ideas, except that the driver isn't working correctly?
>
> btw, it also takes a power cycle of the unit to get power back.

I've noticed the exact same behavior and I'd also say the system isn't
going through it's normal shutdown routine.  I have upssched setup to
e-mail me when events happen, and in the case where the system goes on
battery I have a 300 sec timer start.  When that timer expires, it
should e-mil me about the status.  In the system logs, I see that
upssched starts the timer but before it goes off the system has been
powered off.  I don't see an expiration in syslog nor receive an e-mail
about the battery state.  I've tested the script so I know it will
correctly send the e-mail.

I booted into windows and ran their UPS monitoring software and did the
same test (pulled power) and I saw the battery drop and then stabilize
but the system didn't power itself off.  I ran it on battery for about
10 minutes or so with no problems so the issue isn't the UPS.  I'm
guessing something is getting triggered in NUT somewhere that is telling
the system to shutdown the UPS.  The system shutdown isn't graceful
either as I see ext3 recovering on next bootup.  I have 4 items attached
to the 4 battery backed up ports (not all monitoring the main system
yet), and all of them were off (because the UPS was shut off) so it
isn't just NUT shutting down its one system.  It shut off the whole UPS.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get much farther than that yet.

Rob