[Nut-upsuser] Help please with Powerware 3105 serial on SUSE10.1

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at telia.com
Mon Jul 31 16:30:38 UTC 2006

Hi John,
tis 2006-08-01 klockan 00:22 +1000 skrev John Murphy:
> Help please on Powerware 3105 serial (aka SOLA 305 here in Australia).
> Is it best configured as a contact-closure device or do I try and
> persist to get bcmxcp to work - which it won't so far?
> Running on SUSE 10.1
> Thanks,

This is only contact closure. So you would not get it to run
with the bcmxcp driver.

On http://www.powerware.com/australia/Sola_manuals.asp?cx=22 you
find the manual for the 305. It's not a 3105 replica but an
3110 replica. But as the 3110 is out of production, powerware
set 3105 as replacement.

>From the manual:
8<--------------------snip------------------------------
Pinouts

Pin 1 RS232 Level Shutdown: +12 VDC signal held for 5 seconds on this
pin shuts the
SOLA 305 down 120 seconds later. The UPS restarts after 15 seconds when
utility
power returns.

Pin 2 Unused.

*Pin 3 Normally Open On-Battery Contact: A normally open contact that
closes (pulls to
Common) 15 seconds after the UPS switches to battery power.

Pin 4 Common: The signal ground for all signal pins.

*Pin 5 Normally Open Low-Battery-Alarm Contact: A normally open contact
that closes
(pulls to Common) during a Low Battery Alarm.

Pin 6 Normally Closed Low-Battery-Alarm Contact: A normally closed
contact that opens
(releases from Common) during a Low Battery Alarm. This tells some
shutdown
software when to start a computer shutdown.

Pin 7 Unused.

*Pin 8 Normally Closed On-Battery Contact: A normally closed contact
that opens (releases
from Common) 15 seconds after the UPS switches to battery power.

Pin 9 Unused.
* Contacts consist of open collector circuits capable of switching up to
+30 VDC, 6 mA resistive
load.

So go for the generic driver.

Regards