[Nut-upsuser] SmartLink UPS - Suggestions as to which serial driver?

gypsy gypsy at iswest.com
Sat Jun 3 07:47:42 UTC 2006

Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

> On 6/2/06, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> > gypsy wrote:
> >
> > >The supplied software is Copyrighted by Powercom Co., Ltd. and is named
> > >'upsmon' version 0.91a.  In addition there is a 'upsdisp' that uses
> > >ncurses to show things like line voltage and load.  The serial cable
> > >plus UPS plus the software all work - after a fashion...
> > >
> > >Does anyone know which NUT serial driver to use with this SmartLink UPS?
> > >
> > >Is there a better way than just running 'upsdrvctl start' hoping to find
> > >a driver that works?
> > >
> > >Even if you're not sure of the answer, perhaps you'll venture a guess or
> > >two for me to check out?
> > >
> >         Your software looks extremely similar to the one I have received for my 3000 VA Ablerex ups. With the great help of the developers, now I am using the UPS with the svn version of nut, with the megatec driver. You might try that...
>
> And if you notice something wrong, you can say so, I'll try to fix it.
>
> --
> Carlos Rodrigues

OK, I grabbed the 2.1 source using svn and compiled.  All went just
fine.

I only had a chance to try 3 serial drivers: Powercom, Fentonups and
Megatec.  All fail with different messages, but none works.  I tried
Fentonups because there is a reference to Powercom in it.  I could not
make dummy-ups work at all; it does not like my method, throwing syntax
errors.

My method (I've seen different instructions in this mailing list) was to
create /etc/ups/ups.conf containing:
[SmartLink]
	driver = fentonups
	port = /dev/ttyS0
	desc = "SmartLink"

and then run 'upsdrvctl start'.
If 'ls /var/state/ups' shows files, then 'upsdrvctl stop'.
'vi /etc/ups/ups.conf'.
Try again...

Carlos, if you have a static IP and if you promise not to shut down the
ups, I'd be happy to set up ssh access to the computer for you.  Please
be aware that the computer you'd connect has only an AMD K6 233 CPU so
it is SLOW.

Otherwise, I'll try each serial binary in drivers/.
--
gypsy