[Nut-upsuser] Recommended UPS to buy for use with NUT?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Jun 5 00:54:46 UTC 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 06:37, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> Worked like a charm when I used it, however there's a gotcha.  An ups
> with a 28 minute runtime may signal LB at 19 minutes, resulting in a
> shutdown sometime sooner than you expect :)

This really pisses me off..
You can't meaningfully claim the UPS runs for 30 minutes when the computer
connected to it will have to shut down after 20..

APC do it too and I bet other makers do.. Very irritating when you are trying
to spec. a run time for a job and you need to second guess the maker :(

There's also the question of battery damage - specifying a run time for which
the batteries are completely depleted is dumb because this will damage the
battery => less lifetime => pissed off users.

I switched from APC to MGE to see if they are any better in this regard.. I'll
find out soon..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum