[Nut-upsuser] Problem after reboot

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Mar 2 14:37:48 UTC 2006

> Hello all,
>
> Rebooted my server by mistake (don't ask...) - everything was working OK
> before the reboot, but after the reboot, NUT stopped working - so had a
> look and I found I couldn't track the exact problem - I'm quite stumped
> as there's nothing indicating that there's a problem, but it just
> doesn't work...
>
> In a nutshell....
>
> destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
> Network UPS Tools (version 2.0.2) - APC Smart protocol driver
>          Driver version 1.99.7, command table version 2.0
> getpwnam(nut): Success
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
> destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin#
>
> I see a "Success" and then a "Failed" notice.  Which is which?  And what
> has failed?  And how?
>
> I tried running the driver on its own:
>
> destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./apcsmart /dev/ttyS0 -x cable=940-0024C
> Network UPS Tools (version 2.0.2) - APC Smart protocol driver
>          Driver version 1.99.7, command table version 2.0
> getpwnam(nut): Success
> destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin#
>
> which points to me there's a problem with upsdrvctl somehow.

No. The 'getpwnam(nut): Success' should not be displayed by the driver as
far as I can tell. Throughout the sources, the word 'getpwnam' is only
used to display a fatal error when NUT isn't able to locate a userid, in
this case for 'nut'. Where this 'Success' is coming from, is beyond me.

My guess would be that the user 'nut' doesn't exist. Try if adding '-u
root' to the list of commandline parameters solves this (temporarily).
Sometimes 'id nut' may be helpful too.