[Nut-upsuser] upssched does not start the script when timer triggers

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:18:58 UTC 2006

bonjour Laurent,

2006/5/9, Laurent Lesage <laurent at lesagepono.be>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using nut with my MG Ellipse on serial port. No problem since one
> year. Two days ago, I wanted to add a phone alert through my asterisk
> box when power is down. Since then, upssched doesn't make his job
> anymore. here is the "syslog" I get when the power cord is unplugged :
>

> > May  9 11:39:34 serveur upsmon[6411]: UPS ellipse at localhost on battery
> > May  9 11:39:34 serveur upssched[6823]: Timer daemon started
> > May  9 11:39:34 serveur upssched[6823]: New timer: phone_alert (15
> > seconds)
> > May  9 11:39:34 serveur upssched[6823]: New timer: onbatt (900 seconds)
> > May  9 11:39:49 serveur upssched[6823]: Event: phone_alert
> > May  9 11:39:49 serveur upssched[6823]: Execute command failure:
> > /root/scripts/upsalert phone_alert: No such file or directory
> > May  9 11:40:19 serveur upsmon[6411]: UPS ellipse at localhost on line power
> > May  9 11:40:19 serveur upssched[6823]: Cancelling timer: onbatt
>

> So, the timer works OK but when the scripts si called, it says it
> doesn't exist. It worked before without any problem. the path is ok. The
> command is ok.
>
> her is my upssched.conf
>
> > # the script to be executed
> > CMDSCRIPT /root/scripts/upsalert
> >
> > # mandatory fields that must be set before AT commands
> > PIPEFN /var/run/upssched/upssched.pipe
> > LOCKFN /var/run/upssched/upssched.lock
> >
> > # the timers, here 30 sec after the ONBATT (ups on battery) event
> > AT ONBATT * START-TIMER phone_alert 15
> > AT ONBATT * START-TIMER onbatt 900
> >
> > # cancel the countdown if power is back
> > AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER onbatt
> > AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER phone_alert
>

> Any idea?

please, also post the upsalert script.
I take it that you checked /var/run/upssched/ can be accessed by the nut user.

Strange that it worked before! I would have suggested that either a
dir in the path (/var/run/upssched/ or more /root/scripts/) would not
give access to the nut user, or the script itself not being
executable.
It might be that, but due to a package upgrade that would have changed
something...

Don't hesitate to get back to me when you have validated the above points.

Arnaud