[Nut-upsuser] How do I resolve comm issues

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 9 13:43:14 UTC 2006

Hi again Scott,

2006/5/9, Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H <ml at t-b-o-h.net>:

> > Hey Tuc,
> >
> > 2006/5/9, Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H <ml at t-b-o-h.net>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >         I'm running into an issue while using FreeBSD 5.4, NUT from
> > > ports (2.0.3), serial on /dev/cuaa1, Ellipse 1200 USBS.
> > >
> > >         The ups.conf is :
> > >
> > > [ellipse]
> > >         driver=mge-utalk
> >
> > Ellipse USBS units are bound to:
> > - newhidups when using the USB port,
> > - mge-shut when using the serial port.
> >
> > mge-utalk is for older units, or the more recent that still come with
> > UTalk compatibility.
> >
> > As mentionned in my previous (private) answer, the newhidups version
> > in nut 2.0.3 has a major bug with libusb which results in a crash.
> > Solved for the soon to be released 2.0.4...
> >
> Hi,
>
>         Thanks... Unfortunately I misspoke in my private reply. I
> had said that I was using mge-shut when I was using the mge-utalk.

so, I should have read that one before ;-)

>         The issue is that when I went to try the mge-shut (I'm
> doing this serial) I get :
>
> soekris# /usr/local/libexec/nut/mge-shut -D -D -D -D -D -D -D -D -a ellipse
> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.65 (2.0.3)
> debug level is '8'
> entering upsdrv_initups()
> entering setline(1)
>
> entering shut_ups_start()
>
> sent: (1 bytes) => 16
> received: 16
> Syncing and notification setting done
> Communication with UPS established
> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 21, 9)
> entering shut_packet_send (8)
> shut_checksum = af
> sent: (11 bytes) => 81 88 81 06 00 21 00 00 09 00 AF
> received: 81
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Retry = 1
> sent: (1 bytes) => 15
> received: 81
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Retry = 2
> sent: (1 bytes) => 15
> received: 00
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Retry = 3
> sent: (1 bytes) => 15
> received: 00
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Max tries reached while waiting for ACK, still getting errors
> Unable to get HID Descriptor
>

>         Atleast with utalk I was getting SOMEWHERE.

not much in fact. However, I already had feedback for this kind of
setup, so you're not far of having it working ;-)

Can you validate that the nut user can write on the /dev/cuaa1device?
The current mge-shut lacks some control, but I've partly finished to
rewritte it using the standard nut serial functions, so that will be
corrected in some time.

If it's not a permission problem, try to reset the unit using:
1) power off all the UPS protected load,
2) power off the UPS (using the front panel button),
3) unplug the UPS power cord, wait for the long beep, and wait
10 more seconds,
4) replug and restart everything
5) if everything went fine, launch "mge-shut ..." and
check that the communication is established.

Arnaud