[Nut-upsuser] No communication with UPS

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed May 31 06:43:11 UTC 2006

Hi Daryl,

2006/5/31, Daryl K Sayers <daryl at ci.com.au>:

> Hi all,
> I have a MGE Ellipse 600 UPS connected to com1 on a PC running FreeBSD
> 4.11 with nut-2.0.2_1 installed. I have everything working and operational.
> BUT.
> on rare occasions I reboot my machine and when it comes up I get the
> following error:
>
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.64 (2.0.2)
> No communication with UPS
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
> If I keep retrying using '/usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl start '
> I keep getting the same error. What I have done in the past is to
> shutdown the machine and unplug all the cables and turn the UPS off. I
> then wait a period of time and plug everything back in and power back on.
> This randomly works and I am able to get a connection back sometimes.
>
> Now, I dont know if this is a nut problem not initializing corectly or
> its a UPS problem where it locks up and doesnt want to talk. Has anyone
> else seen the problem and what was the solution.

are the device rights setting already applied at nut startup time?
a good test is to use the root user (ie in your nut startup script,
set "-u root" for upsdrvctl, upsd and upsmon. If that work, this is a
privilege problem. Otherwise, try some manual driver launch, in debug
mode (-DDDDD) and send your test result back.

As I've no bsd underhand yet, I can't reproduce the problem, but I
don't face it on linux.

Arnaud