[Nut-upsuser] Calibrating the Battery on an MGE Ellipse Premium 1200

Pedro Côrte-Real pedro at pedrocr.net
Sun Nov 5 17:16:51 CET 2006

On 11/4/06, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
> Saw your other thread discussing HAL - is your current setup using NUT
> to determine when to shut down, or is NUT just telling another
> subsystem when the UPS is on battery power (which might just use a
> timer, instead of waiting for a low battery condition)?

No, it's a standard setup. NUT calls shutdown.

> > The only strange behaviour is that when I put the
> > power back on the battery shows as being at 86%. If it was at 86% it
> > should have lasted longer. Is there any calibration step I can do? The
> > only commands the ups seems to support are:
> >
> > $ upscmd -l mge1200 at localhost
> > Instant commands supported on UPS [mge1200 at localhost]:
> >
> > load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> > load.on - Turn on the load immediately
>
> What about variables?
>
> Try:
>
> $ upsrw mge1200 at localhost
>
> The "battery.charge.low" might be set to a high percentage.

It's set to the standard 30 but when monitoring i've never seen it
actually hit that value. I guess this is a low end ups and I get what
I pay for. I was expecting to get more though.

I was asking because I'm getting around 20 minutes of UPS power with
just one machine (with no monitor) and a switch from 1200 VA. I was
expecting a little more. I'll try lowering battery.charge.low to 20
and see if that helps.

Pedro.