[Nut-upsuser] Help with newhidups subdriver for Dynex UPS

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Nov 11 17:42:25 CET 2006

Dear Michael,

it looks like your efforts were unnecessary. The instructions in
hid-subdrivers.txt are intended for devices that are not *already*
supported by newhidups. On the other hand, your UPS was made by Cyber
Power Systems, and is already supported by the APC/CyberPower
subdriver. Note the lines:

> Detected a UPS: CPS/DX-800U
> Using subdriver: APC/CyberPower HID 0.9

You should be able to follow the instructions in INSTALL and get it to
work "out of the box".

I have also put some instructions, specifically for newhidups, at
http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ups/backups.html

-- Peter

M.A.E. Hanson wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>      If this message was posted twice, my apologies.  I'm having issues with my webmail today...
>
> I am using the testing version of NUT from SVN at changeset 582.  I have successfully created a stub for newhidups driver for my Dynex DX-800U UPS, but I am completely lost on the customization of it.  I've followed the hid-subdrivers.txt instructions and I understand I need to map all the "unmapped.*" lines of my dynex-hid.c to NUT functions.  However, I can't make heads or tails of what I'm supposed to change.  Can someone take some time to help a struggling noob?  Here's some info I hope helps:
>
> # /usr/src/nut-testing# pico /usr/local/ups/etc/ups.conf
>
> [mythbox]
>                 driver = newhidups
>                 port = /dev/usb/hiddev0
>                 desc = "Living Room"
>
> <<EOF>>
>
> /usr/src/nut-testing# drivers/newhidups -DD -u root /dev/usb/hiddev0
>
> debug level is '2'
> Checking device (0000/0000) (005/001)
> - VendorID: 0000
> - ProductID: 0000
> - Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.15-chw-2 ehci_hcd
> - Product: EHCI Host Controller
> - Serial Number: 0000:00:1d.7
> - Bus: 005
> Trying to match device
> Device does not match - skipping
> Checking device (0000/0000) (004/001)
> - VendorID: 0000
> - ProductID: 0000
> - Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.15-chw-2 uhci_hcd
> - Product: UHCI Host Controller
> - Serial Number: 0000:00:1d.3
> - Bus: 004
> Trying to match device
> Device does not match - skipping
> Checking device (0000/0000) (003/001)
> - VendorID: 0000
> - ProductID: 0000
> - Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.15-chw-2 uhci_hcd
> - Product: UHCI Host Controller
> - Serial Number: 0000:00:1d.2
> - Bus: 003
> Trying to match device
> Device does not match - skipping
> Checking device (0000/0000) (002/001)
> - VendorID: 0000
> - ProductID: 0000
> - Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.15-chw-2 uhci_hcd
> - Product: UHCI Host Controller
> - Serial Number: 0000:00:1d.1
> - Bus: 002
> Trying to match device
> Device does not match - skipping
> Checking device (0764/0501) (001/003)
> - VendorID: 0764
> - ProductID: 0501
> - Manufacturer: CPS
> - Product: DX-800U
> - Serial Number: unknown
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 374)
> Report descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 374)
> Found HID device
> Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.1.0)

> [...]

<snip>