[Nut-upsuser] Sweex 1000VA UPS

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Nov 11 23:48:11 CET 2006

YvesDM wrote:

> Ok, I think it's working.
> The problem was the serial cable.

That why I recommended to try it under Windows with the bundled
software, to rule out a problem like this.

> I had 2, one came with the ups, the other came with another ups.
> During my tests I changed the original cable with the other one.
> I never changed it back, thinking they were exactly the same.

For contact closure type UPSes, they almost never are.

> Now I changed it back and used the serial cabel that came with the ups
> again.

[...]

> I don't know if the ups will actually shutdown the system now on low
> battery.

Assuming that the monitoring works (which looks like it), it probably
will, as you already found out during earlier tests where your system
kept on rebooting when the serial cable was not connected. This is
essentially the same as OB LB for upstype=7.

> upsc ain't showing much information on the battery status here, but as
> far as I remember I've read somewhere in the docs that this is normal with genericups
> drivers, not?

On Battery and Low Battery are the only two status signals available, so
 no fancy voltage readings, load percentages and battery charge. If you
want that, you need a smarter UPS.

> It's not the right time now to check if the system really is shutdown
> when the battery is getting low.

That would be a recommendation indeed. See the notes on this in the
genericups man page.

> (live system) I will test this asap and keep this list informed.

Good! I'm glad that in the end things worked out for you.

Kind regards,
Arjen