[Nut-upsuser] Sweex 1000VA UPS

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Nov 12 12:33:14 CET 2006

YvesDM wrote:

>> Assuming that the monitoring works (which looks like it), it probably
>> will, as you already found out during earlier tests where your system
>> kept on rebooting when the serial cable was not connected. This is
>> essentially the same as OB LB for upstype=7.
> Yes, but I just want to be sure tht the state "LB" is going to show up.
> When this happens I'm pretty sure the thing will do what it's supposed
> to do.

Just remember to verify that the UPS is able to provide power long
enough for your system to shutdown after signalling LB. It may take some
time to shutdown your system cleanly and some UPSes simply don't have
the stamina to keep powering the load long enough. So make sure your
server is not powered by the UPS (and use a suitable load of
incandescant lamps to simulate the server load).

> I'm also wondering if the system will boot up when the powerline comes
> online again. That would be very nice!

That depends both on the UPS and system configuration. Most 'dumb' UPSes
will turn on again once power returns, so I don't expect surprises here.
The second thing to check, is whether your system will startup when
power is applied. In the days of the AT power supplies (until about a
decade ago), this was no issue since they had a hard power switch. Since
the introduction of the ATX power supply, this usually requires a
jumper/dipswitch on the mainboard or a BIOS setting.

Kind regards, Arjen