[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower PR2200

Doug Reynolds mav at wastegate.net
Wed Nov 15 20:34:36 CET 2006

Jeff Tucker wrote:
> Hi, guys.
>
> I have a new CyberPower PR2200 which I'm trying to control using NUT. It
> has a serial port and I'm connected serially. I am using the cyberpower
> driver and before a power failure it seems to mostly be working:
>
> jeff at backup:~$ upsc cyberpower at localhost
> battery.charge: 000
> driver.name: cyberpower
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
> driver.version: 2.0.4
> driver.version.internal: 1.00
> input.frequency: 60.0
> input.voltage: 114
> ups.firmware: 1.100
> ups.load: 040
> ups.mfr: CyberPower
> ups.model: Unknown model - 22
> ups.status: OL
> ups.temperature: 8.0
>
> I'm a little concerned that it says battery.charge: 000 there
>
> Anyway, when I unplug the UPS, I get a notification that the system is
> running on battery. Then, about 3 minutes later, the UPS clicks off and
> the whole thing is down. I also noticed that during this time the LED's
> on the UPS that show load all blink in a repeating pattern.
>
> This is a big UPS powering one machine, so I would expect it to last
> longer than 3 minutes. I did the same test without NUT running. After 15
> minutes, the UPS still showed 75% charge level. I don't know how long it
> would last. Also, the LED's were not blinking.
>
> So, I suspect that the cyberpower driver is doing something to the UPS
> that tells it to shut down. The syslog shows the initial event with the
> unit going on battery, but nothing further. It doesn't appear that nut
> intentionally shut down the UPS. No shutdown was ever started on the
> machine, so it just hard crashes.
>
> Any ideas on this? I might just be out of luck with this UPS, I guess.
> It's a shame because these things are half the price of a comparable APC.

That is what my CyberPower 1200 does.. I changed the drivers around to
work somewhat, but as you see, they don't work well.  I've been working
on coming up for the proper commands for the ups, but I haven't had time
to swap out the UPS and hook it to my windows machine to do some serial
debugging.  I plan to do this during my christmas break..