[Nut-upsuser] Smart-UPS with SuSE 9.0/Nut

Chris Boyd chris at usit.ie
Tue Sep 5 14:09:48 UTC 2006

OK I've changed to a different machine as I don't think it install all of nut. Now I'm working with nut-1.2.2
I changed the driver to newapc and it's now finding the RT 3000 correctly.
I'm still getting the reject TCP in messages:

upsd[17078]: Rejecting TCP connection from 10.133.1.49

Sep  5 15:00:35 usit-hq-s03 upsmon[17077]: Poll UPS [myups at 10.133.1.49] failed - Read error: No such file or directory

I've set the owner to nobody after trying to creating a user and setting it as owner on the conf files as well as /dev/ttyS0.

Here is the message I get when starting ups:

Starting service NUT:
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 1.2.2
Network UPS Tools (version 1.2.2) - APC Smart protocol driver
        Driver version 1.4, command table version 1.2
Detected Smart-UPS RT 3000 XL     [NS0545001690  ] on /dev/ttyS0
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 1.2.2
Network UPS Tools upsd 1.2.2
/var/lib/ups is world readable
Read data for UPS [myups] successfully
Data source for UPS [myups]: newapc-ttyS0
Network UPS Tools upsmon 1.2.2
UPS: myups at 10.133.1.49 (master) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower

                                                                                                                  done

Broadcast Message from nobody at usit-hq-s03
        (somewhere) at 15:00 ...

UPS myups at 10.133.1.49 is unavailable

Here are the changes to the conf files:

ups.conf
[myups]
driver = newapc
port = /dev/ttyS0
cable = 940-0024C
sdtype = 0

upsd.conf
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
ACL usit 10.133.0.0/16
ACCESS grant monitor localhost usit
ACCESS deny all all

upsd.users
[monuser]

        password = password
        allowfrom = usit
        upsmon master

upsmon.conf
RUN_AS_USER nobody
MONITOR myups at 10.133.1.49 1 monuser password master

On 9/4/06, Chris Boyd <chris at usit.ie> wrote:
> stat /etc/ups/upsd.conf: No such file or directory

This is key.

ups.conf configures the drivers, whereas upsd.conf controls access to
the driver from the network.

If you are setting up a standalone system, you can use this as a
starting point for upsd.conf:

#======================
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32

ACCEPT localhost
REJECT all

For more details, run 'man upsd.conf'

--
- Charles Lepple

copyrighted.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. USIT has scanned this email for viruses and
dangerous content and believes it to be clean. However,
virus scanning is ultimately the responsibility of the recipient.