[Nut-upsuser] Query SNMP

Tim Cary tdc at yesinc.com
Wed Sep 13 04:51:49 UTC 2006

So what then, is the point of the snmp part?

Perhaps a better way to explain is to compare it to a Windows setup with
the Powerchute Software.  When set up on a Windows box, connected via a
serial cable, you can choose to have that APC agent on the Windows box
expose all UPS parameters that it collects, to any external snmp
collector.  For example, if I do a snmpget against the Windows box, and
know the correct OID (published by APC's MIB), I get values back on
whatever I queried (voltage, battery, etc).

I know this is not Windows, and not APC, but I was looking to understand
what the SNMP part does.  It appears that I can not do with nut the same
thing I do with the APC agent on Windows.

On 9/12/06, Tim Cary <tdc at yesinc.com> wrote:
> I want to collect the same statistics that NUT can provide via SNMP.

Actually, in the previous email from ocg.ca, the UPS provides the
information via SNMP, and NUT is the consumer.

I do not believe there is a way for NUT to publish information to
other SNMP monitoring stations.

> But, I don't have the special card, and would want to use the serial
> port to get the data.  How does this work?

Find your UPS in this table:

http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/stable.html

The NUT driver is listed in the right column, and NUT's upsd monitors
that driver. You can then gather statistics from upsd with upsc.

There are many more examples in the documentation. If you get stuck,
please provide some more details of your setup (i.e. UPS brand and
model, OS, etc.)

--
- Charles Lepple