[Nut-upsuser] Multiple UPS monitoring, relaying

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Apr 20 13:38:41 UTC 2007

This is simple. On each machine that you potentially want to shut
down, you need to run upsmon, and put one (or more) MONITOR statements
into upsmon.conf telling the machine which UPS's it depends on. In
your example, on each server, you put:

 MONITOR ups1 at upsmon 1 monuser mypass master

and on each desktop:

 MONITOR ups2 at upsmon 1 monuser mypass master

Note that the name "upsmon" is a bad name for the machine that your
UPS's are attached to, since that machine's purpose is to run upsd and
drivers, not upsmon. The program upsmon runs on a machine that you
want to shut down, whereas the program upsd runs on a machine that
drives a UPS. In case they are the same, you run both sets of
programs.

See also:
upsmon(8)  - the sections on "UPS definitions" and "power values"
docs/data-room.txt
docs/big-servers.txt
docs/shutdown.txt  - particularly the section on "multiple UPS shutdowns"
http://www.networkupstools.org/features/ - the section on "monitoring diagrams"

-- Peter