[Nut-upsuser] USB problem as user

Czuczy Gergely czuczy at publishing.hu
Fri Apr 20 16:04:49 UTC 2007

Hello

I'm having a bit of a trouble to set up a Back-UPS on
a production box.
We're using the newhidups driver for this module here, in
the office, and I'd like to monitor the one, out in our
server farm.

The situation is the following:
# /lib/nut/newhidups -u root -DD -a ups1 2> ups1.out
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30
(2.0.5)

this one worked flawlessly, while as a user, it cannot access
the UPS:

# /lib/nut/newhidups -u nut -DD -a ups1
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30
(2.0.5)

debug level is '2'
No appropriate HID device found
No matching HID UPS found

I've chowned to nut:nut /dev/usb/* and /proc/bus/usb recursively,
but it didn't help.

I'd like to ask for help, what do i need to adjust on the system
to make it work.

Some circumstances:
This is a production box. The kernel cannot be changed,
it cannot be restarted, and it should be held in awe and
respect. So I can only touch it as minimally as it's
required.

hotplug is not available here, so replugging is USB cable is
out of question.

# /etc/init.d/hotplug restart
 * Kernel hotplug support not enabled.

So, what should I do to make this work?