[Nut-upsuser] Sending snmp traps from a serial ups

Markus Kress Markus.Kress at gls-itservices.com
Mon Apr 23 13:25:05 UTC 2007

Hello,

ok, I think I haven't explained it not clear enough, so I try it again:

We have 12 "big" upses between 30kva and 150 kva with such snmp-adaptors,
which connects the upses to our network to

a.) monitor it with e.g. hp open view
b.) using some apc software on our small servers for shutting down
c.) using two special pc's for shutting down our big servers.

All these things are working over snmp.

Additional we have hundreds of small Smart-APC 1500 upses, connected with a
serial cable, in different location all over europe. I'm using ups-nut for
shutting down the systems, because we don't want to using the APC-Software
(we can't install it automaticly, need X for this java-appl and it's java).

Automated scripts in each location checking the upses for a defect battery,
a high temperature etc. and sending an event to our operating.

Now we want to do logging of tempature, battery etc. in the same manner, as
we do it for our upses in the central location. So what we need, is like a
"software smnp adaptor" for giving the information about the ups from nut
thru the snmpd of linux to our central monitoring. Nut should also shutting
down the local system.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Markus Kress
System Technologies

GLS IT-Services GmbH
GLS Germany-Straße 1-7
36286 Neuenstein
Germany

T +49 (0) 66 77 17 426
M +49 (0) 172 1781 426
F +49 (0) 66 77 17 111

E markus.kress at gls-itservices.com
GLS IT Services GmbH
Sitz: Neuenstein, Amtsgericht Bad Hersfeld HRB 388, Geschäftsführer:
Rüdiger Schmahl

             "Charles Lepple"
             <clepple at gmail.co
             m>                                                         An
                                        "Markus Kress"
             23.04.2007 14:26           <Markus.Kress at gls-itservices.com>
                                                                     Kopie
                                        nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.or
                                                                     Thema
                                        Re: [Nut-upsuser] Sending snmp
                                        traps from a serial ups

A little more explanation of SNMP support in NUT:

The snmp-ups driver in NUT queries existing SNMP agents, such as those
on SNMP management cards in high-end UPSes.

It sounds like you want an SNMP agent that publishes NUT information,
which is the "other side" of the SNMP equation.

If you search the NUT archives for Cacti, you will find some starting
points for monitoring that could probably be adapted to other
monitoring systems.

On 4/23/07, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> 2007/4/20, Markus Kress <Markus.Kress at gls-itservices.com>:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to poll ups information (status, load, temprature etc.) from a
Linux
> > server with snmp. The ups is connected with a serial cable and I'm
using
> > nut.
> > It is possible to transfer Information from ups nut to the linux smnpd
> > (with some scripts?) and to make some extention to the mib database.
> >
> > I know, my question is not ups nut related.
>
> your question is linked to UPS / NUT ;-)
> I've a long time ago pushed the UPS SNMP Agent, but it has lacked from
> interested developers: http://eu1.networkupstools.org/server-projects/
>
> This project still need to be resurrected.
>
> You otherwise can rely upon one of our many NMS integration (Nagios,
> Big Syster, Cacti, MonAmi,...):
> http://eu1.networkupstools.org/client-projects/
>
> Arnaud
> --
> Linux / Unix Expert - MGE UPS SYSTEMS - R&D Dpt
> Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
> Debian Developer - http://people.debian.org/~aquette/
> OpenSource Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/

- Charles Lepple