[Nut-upsuser] upsc "Error: ... Can't assign requested address"

Bryan gruvin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 22:43:27 UTC 2007

Hello there.

I've just install nut 2.2 from source on my FreeBSD box. I have an MGE
AVR 600 UPS on a USB cable. Following the INSTALL instructions,
everything works in term of the USB driver detecting the right UPS and
upsd loads up and runs without error.

However, upsc reports the following error:

   # upsc mge600 at localhost
   Error: Connection failure:Can't assign requested address

I was having this trouble with the FBSD ports version of nut v2.0.4,
hence the source build of 2.2. Whilst other things are working much
better with 2.2 (like the upsd driver auto-driver load, which wasn't
before), this "address assignment" problem remains.

(I have no firewall activated, if that's of any relevance).

Many thanks for any help!

upsd.conf
--------------
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32

ACCEPT localhost
REJECT all

upsd.users
----------------
empty (have not proceeded to get upsmon running yet)

ups.conf
------------
[mge600]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        desc = "MGE AVR 600 powering sweetie"

- - - -

# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 ()

Detected a UPS: MGE UPS SYSTEMS/NOVA AVR
Using subdriver: MGE HID 1.0

- - - -

# /usr/local/ups/sbin/upsd -DDDDD
Network UPS Tools upsd
listen_add: added 0.0.0.0:3493
listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
Connected to UPS [mge600]: usbhid-ups-mge600
UPS [mge600]: dump is done
Pinging UPS [mge600]
Got PONG from UPS [mge600]

Note the absence of "Synchronising..." *shrug*

- - - -

# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsc mge600 at localhost
Error: Connection failure: Can't assign requested address

DOH! *grin*

--
Bryan.