[Nut-upsuser] Problem with APC SMART SC 1500

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 13:33:22 UTC 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 6:00 AM, Edjé <edosseh at ub.tg> wrote:
> Hello, thanks for reply,
> But my problem is partially fixed with an update i did to nut-2.2.0-1.1 .
> Now, first  i want to know where or how can i  execute the ups shutdown
> script ;

Not sure about that - it would be specific to Fedora Core 4, but
basically you need to modify the shutdown sequence as mentioned in
docs/shutdown.txt.

A quick Google search turned up this blog entry:

http://blog.moertel.com/articles/2006/08/09/how-to-make-sure-your-servers-come-back-up-after-an-extended-power-outage

... but I think that's only half the story, since it does not call
"upsdrvctl shutdown" to power the UPS down. (I think the blog author
may be assuming that since the UPS has sent the low battery signal to
NUT, then it is close to running out of power anyway.)

See the "Testing power races" section for more information about why
you need to call "upsdrvctl shutdown".

Let us know what works - I don't personally have a Fedora system to
test this with.

> Secondary, i want to know there is a problem with winnut: Windows
> Nut client program of 2.0.0 version. Because we do the test for putting ups
> on battery, and it shut down automatically. I put here information from the
> log:
>
> Level    ALERT 12/21/2007 16:43:31 WinNUTUpsMon Service is starting to
> monitor UPS
> Level   NOTICE 12/21/2007 16:46:20 UPS siUps1 at 192.168.210.24 on battery
> Level  WARNING 12/21/2007 16:46:20 Ups [siUps1 at 192.168.210.24] on batt for
> more than 2 seconds.  Shutting down system

WinNUT seems to be handling the UPS status differently than the
regular NUT upsmon program, which initiates shutdowns on Unix-like
systems.

Testing the battery will usually put the UPS inverter on battery for
several seconds, so this is not the advised way to check to see if it
is time to shut down. The NUT upsmon program waits for a "low battery"
signal from the UPS before shutting down.

> Level CRITICAL 12/21/2007 16:46:20 Executing automatic power-fail shutdown
> Level   NOTICE 12/21/2007 16:46:20 Auto logout and shutdown proceeding
> Level CRITICAL 12/21/2007 16:46:21 UPSMON: UPS on battery and battary low.
> Issuing shutdown NOW.
> Level CRITICAL 12/21/2007 16:46:21 Shutdown in 5 seconds.  Sys shutdown
> command returns 1: 997

Then again, it looks like you are subsequently getting a "low battery"
signal from the UPS, so it seems like the battery test has found that
the battery does not have much capacity left.

You may want to check with the WinNUT author to be sure about this
interpretation of the WinNUT log, but it looks like you may need to
replace the battery in the UPS.

Also, what does "upsc siUps1" return? (Some UPSes have an adjustable
"low battery" threshold.)

--
- Charles Lepple