[Nut-upsuser] initial configuration assistance, fixed

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Thu Feb 1 01:55:13 CET 2007

George Ross wrote:
>>> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
> Had you previously connected the UPS by USB?  If so, you'll have to
> completely power-cycle it before it'll speak to the serial port again.
> Pull the input power and press-and-hold the off button until the unit gives
> a click, and then wait a while...

Thankfully this wasn't the issue, because the UPS is powering necessary
systems and our next maintenance downtime isn't for a few months (:

I know it wasn't the issue because I made a glaring mistake which I'll
share for amusement's sake. I had planned to migrate the gentoo instance
(where my test-nut installation resides) from one older machine to a
newer one a couple of weeks ago, and incorrectly assumed that I'd now
done it. Therefore, plugging the serial cable into the newer machine
gave all sorts of "no response over serial cable" issues on the older - duh!

It works beautifully now, especially since thanks to you guys I'd
already fixed the issues that I would have encountered after getting the
serial cable right! Now, onto the finer details of event configuration
and working out exactly how to deal with our dual-PSU servers supplied
by different UPS: Some work ahead for me.

For clarity, and because someone mentioned Gentoo not being a commonly
used platform here, I'll outline my steps to show how well it works.
1. (emerge -s nut;) emerge sys-power/nut
2. edit all the files under /etc/nut to suit
3. start the right driver(s)
4. start upsd

That's it! In other words there doesn't seem to be any need for
gentoo-specific doco. nut user and group and tty membership were all
done automatically, and a nice standard /dev/ttyS0 was the right device
for serial port 1. Kudos to the gentoo folks who made all this happen,
and generally to the nut developers.

Ciao,
Greg the happy new nut user.