[Nut-upsuser] initial configuration assistance, fixed

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Thu Feb 1 03:56:23 CET 2007

Doug Parsons wrote:
> http://www.networkupstools.org/doc/2.0.1/data-room.html

Yeah I figured I'd stumble across that sort of doco when I start work on
it - thanks for the link tho.

> In my scenario I used one server (actually a virtual server) to monitor
> all 20+ UPS units and then let the servers talk to it for status.

Since you've brought this up, it's something I'm not sure I understand
properly. The physical machine behind your virtual server only has one
or two serial ports, right? How do you get it talking to so many UPSs?
My understanding at the moment is I have two choices:
1: Physically connect each UPS to one (different) server, and have that
server do the monitoring and management for that UPS.
2: Physically connect each UPS to one (different) server, and have one
central server do the monitoring and management for all UPSs.

Clearly it may be possible to physically connect two UPSs to a given
server with two serial ports, but that's beside the point. Our UPSs for
the most part don't have network support.

Greg.