[Nut-upsuser] MGE Nova AVR 600 USB on FreeBSD

Rob Wise rob at wonk.org
Fri Feb 16 03:52:09 CET 2007

Hi,

I've seen a few emails in the archives about problems polling MGE UPSs
via USB under FreeBSD, but unfortunately I didn't find a solution in
them that works for me.

A few details about my setup.. The UPS is a MGE Nova AVR 600 connected
via USB to a FreeBSD 6.2 box.  I have tried both the nut port (2.0.5)
and the svn trunk but have had no success yet.  I am running nut as
root to exclude the possibility of permission issues.

The testing below is done on the trunk version.

My ups.conf:
[mge-nova]
        driver=usbhid-ups
        port=auto
        desc="MGE Nova 600VA on Bozo"
        vendorid = 0463
        pollinterval = 30

upsd.conf:
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
ACCEPT localhost
REJECT all
MAXAGE 60

usbdevs -vd:
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub0
 port 1 addr 2: low speed, power 20 mA, config 1, NOVA AVR(0xffff),
MGE UPS SYSTEMS(0x0463), rev 0.01
   ugen0

When I start up the usbhid-ups driver manually it seems to be able to
communicate with the UPS ok:
bin/usbhid-ups -DD -u root -a mge-nova
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.1.0)

debug level is '2'
Checking device (0463/FFFF) (/dev/usb0//dev/ugen0)
- VendorID: 0463
- ProductID: ffff
- Manufacturer: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
- Product: NOVA AVR
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: /dev/usb0
Trying to match device
Device matches
HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 358)
Report descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 358)
Found HID device
Report Descriptor size = 358
Detected a UPS: MGE UPS SYSTEMS/NOVA AVR
Using subdriver: MGE HID 1.0
(I get lots of lines like this with various data form the UPS.  The
last couple of lines of output are..)
upsdrv_updateinfo...
dstate_init: sock /var/db/nut/mge-nova open on fd 5
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Waiting for notifications...

At this point I load up upsd with the following result:

./upsd -DDD -u root
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.1.0
/usr/local/ups/etc/upsd.conf is world readable
listen_add: added 0.0.0.0:3493
listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
Connected to UPS [mge-nova]: mge-nova
/usr/local/ups/etc/upsd.users is world readable
Pinging UPS [mge-nova]
Pinging UPS [mge-nova]
sstate_dead: didn't hear from driver for UPS [mge-nova] for 0 seconds
Data for UPS [mge-nova] is stale - check driver
sstate_dead: didn't hear from driver for UPS [mge-nova] for 0 seconds
Pinging UPS [mge-nova]
sstate_dead: didn't hear from driver for UPS [mge-nova] for 0 seconds
(continues on like this)

The window running usbhid-ups does not show any further output while
this is occuring.

I could use some suggestions on where to go from here.  I'm happy to
test code, capture debugs, etc, to get these FreeBSD related problems
sorted out.

Thanks,

Rob