[Nut-upsuser] MGE Nova AVR 600 USB on FreeBSD

Rob Wise rob at wonk.org
Mon Feb 19 03:46:11 CET 2007

Hi Arnaud,

On 16/02/07, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> does the driver block on "Waiting for notifications... "
> or do you see some other identical messages?
>
> if the driver is blocked, then you have (about) the same problem as
> solaris (but they don't have implemented USB interrupts through
> libusb!).
> a call to usb_interrupt_read() (libusb function) block indefinitly the process!
> if this is the case, you can try to extend the workaround:
> - look at configure.in,
> - search for SUN_LIBUSB
> - extend the target_os to include the freebsd system
> - call autoreconf and recompile usbhid-ups

This has worked! - I am now able to poll data from the UPS:

root# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsc mge-nova at localhost
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 30
battery.runtime: 1000
battery.type: PbAc
(etc)

> then relaunch usbhid-ups in debug and feed us back,
> Note that this is only a temporary fix that disable interrupt handling
> (so the driver only polls the UPS), while waiting for a proper
> solution in freebsd / sun...

Just to clarify this..  There is a bug with the USB code in FreeBSD
6.2 causing the driver to block - do you know if anyone has raised a
PR for it?

Also your comment "(so the driver only polls the UPS)" - does this
mean the UPS will not be able to notify NUT of a power failure as it
occurs, but we'll pick it up next time NUT polls?

Thanks,

Rob