[Nut-upsuser] multiple machines

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Feb 21 00:19:37 CET 2007

Simpson, Kenneth wrote:

> Hi - I have 5 Linux servers connected to 1 SmartUPS 2200 VA.
>
> The software from APC for Linux requires a Windows machine be
> present on the network as a server in order to manage the Linux
> machines.
>
> This is a show stopper for us since we don't have access to any
> Windows machines.
>
> My first impression of NUT is it can shutdown the machine connected
> to the UPS via the serial cable but it can't shutdown the other
> machines.
>
> Is this true?

No.

> If this is true, any ideas on how to shutdown the other machines?

You can shut down any number of machines, connected to any number of
UPSs. You just have to run upsmon on every machine you want to shut
down ("slave", "client"), and upsd on every machine that controls a
UPS ("master", "server"). See the sections on the MONITOR directive in
the file INSTALL, and in upsmon.conf(5). See also the file
docs/data-room.txt.

-- Peter