[Nut-upsuser] nut suddenly stopped working...

A.Lizard alizard at ecis.com
Wed Feb 21 10:31:06 CET 2007

I almost had nut_2.0.5-3_i386.deb (from
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/nut - installed via dpkg, not via
repository) working:

* problems with getting it to come up during boot
* monitoring via knutclient was OK
* shutdown on low battery worked adequately, if not quite as described)

and newhidups suddenly stopped talking to my Belkin F6C550-AVR . It's only
been in use for a couple of months, so I doubt it's a hardware problem. And
in general, the USB setup works, my printer runs just fine.

also installed - nut-usb nut-dev (2.0.5-3)

Computer hardware:
Biostar Geforce 6100 AM2  (integrated motherboard nvidia chipsets)
OS: Debian Etch
terrarium:/home/alizard/install# uname -a
Linux terrarium 2.6.18-3-486 #1 Mon Dec 4 15:59:52 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

thanks
A.Lizard

terrarium:/etc/default# /lib/nut/newhidups -DD port=auto
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.0.5)

Checking device (050D/0551) (001/008)
- VendorID: 050d
- ProductID: 0551
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation not
permitted)
HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 424)
Unable to get Report descriptor (-1): Operation not permitted

Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
No appropriate HID device found
member The Internet Society (ISOC), The HTML Writers Guild.
"You can't have in a democracy various groups with arms - you have to have
the state with a monopoly on power." Condoleeza Rice, US Secretary of State
Personal Website http://www.ecis.com/~alizard
business Website http://www.reptilelabs.com
backup address (if ALL else fails) alizard at gmail.com
PGP 8.0 key available by request or keyserver. Download PGP from:
http://www.pgpi.org for e-mail privacy.
Disaster prep info: http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/y2k.html
***Looking for INTELLIGENT new technology public policy
alternatives?***               http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/technology.html