[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower 1250AVR UPS. Anybody got one?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Jan 16 15:41:23 CET 2007

> Well, thing is, I don't want it to wait until the battery is about
> dead.  That is not good for the batteries either.  My UPS will last
> about a hour but I don't want it to run that long.  I mostly got the UPS
> because of the blinking our lights do sometimes.  As in previous post,
> if it is out more than about 10 minutes, it's going to be a while.  May
> as well shutdown and call it a day.

In that case, upssched is what you need. But in order for it to work, you
*must* make sure that upsmon is triggered by the mains/battery events. If
that doesn't happen (for a variety of reasons), it will never be called.
NUT comes with an example script and since version nut-2.0.5 we also have
a 'dummy-ups' driver. I found the latter extremely helpful in debugging
all sorts of interprocess communication.

> I am using Gentoo Linux on this rig.  To be honest, I used Mandrake for
> a good while.  I hated the upgrade process so I switched to Gentoo.
> With Mandrake I was using Powstat and it did just what I wanted it to
> do.  It would sense as soon as the power failed and would wait a bit,
> then shut down my system.  Thing is, I can't get powstat to work on
> Gentoo.

Sorry, I don't know powstat, so can't be much of help here.

> I'll go dig around and find the configs and post them in a bit.  I was
> hoping someone had a UPS like mine and could just send me theirs.  Then
> maybe it would work right.  I thought it was working until a power
> failure a while back.  I found out it wasn't then.

First course of action is to find out whether upsmon is seeing any status
changes at all. Power your computer directly from the mains, while still
monitoring the UPS. If you pull the plug on your UPS, upsmon should notice
the change. If this doesn't work, running upsd or the driver in debug mode
should aid in sorting out where things go wrong.

> I did get the other to work though.

Nice to hear.

Best regards, Arjen