[Nut-upsuser] Help needed: LIEBERT PowerSure Personal XT - USB interface

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:14:20 UTC 2007

[please keep the list CC'd.]

On 7/3/07, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 07:57:17AM -0400, Charles Lepple wrote:
> > On 7/3/07, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I have a Liebert PowerSure Personal XT that I have connected via its USB
> > >interface.
> > >lsusb shows that it is there and when I plugged in I got the kernel
> > >messages:
> > >
> > >        Jul  3 11:25:37 mint kernel: usb 2-2.2: new low speed USB device
> > >        using address 4
> > >        Jul  3 11:25:38 mint kernel: hiddev96: USB HID v1.11 Device
> > >        [LIEBERT PowerSure Personal XT] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2.2
> > >
> > >The documentation suggests that I should be able to use it with the
> > >bestups driver.
> > >However I suspect that this is not a USB driver.
> >
> > Correct, the bestups driver is serial only (that documentation was
> > probably written well before any USB UPSes were common).
> >
> > Which version of NUT are you using?
>
> I just downloaded the latest stable version: 2.0.5

Try the newhidups driver (renamed to "usbhid-ups" in 2.2.x). As root,
run "newhidups -u root -x vendorid=1234 -x explore -DD", replacing
"1234" with the actual vendor ID of your UPS.

You can determine the vendor ID with "lsusb".

The "-x explore" option is basically a test mode that lets us see what
is necessary to support the UPS in a more automated fashion. It may
also be that they are using the USB HID class as a USB-to-serial
bridge, but I have seen a few indications in other emails that this
UPS might be able to work with newhidups, or a future version of it.

--
- Charles Lepple