[Nut-upsuser] abusing nut ups to do temperature shutdownWHILEmonitoring UPS'es

Jon Bendtsen jon.bendtsen at laerdal.dk
Thu Jul 26 13:17:39 UTC 2007

Den torsdag 26.jul kl. 14:18 skrev Doug Parsons:

> I have a plan to do the same thing. The approach I was going to
> take is to
> use several fake ups units that use contact closure style drivers.
> The use a
> contact closure from the temp sensor to send the fake UPS units
> into LB
> status. If the are fake units and all servers monitor for these in
> addition
> to the real ones. Then you can set your needed count to shut down
> when the
> temp goes high. You will need some of these relays to be feed from
> the same
> source as the UPS units so that in a real power failure the fake
> units go
> off line.

Do you really need a fake thing? cant you fake it in software and
once the
temperature goes too high you just run a script which hooks into NUT and
sets the TemperaturUPS to NO battery or something and shut it down using
that? I was planning to use lmsensors to monitor the temperature and
then
shutdown.

JonB