[Nut-upsuser] Can not find the Belkin F6H375-USB

dcw dwoody1 at charter.net
Sun Jun 3 20:05:09 UTC 2007

Thanks for your quick reply!

On Sunday 03 June 2007 1:45 pm, you wrote:
> On 6/3/07, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> > I have changed over to CentOS5 on some of our computers. I had been using
> > Mandriva 2006 and the nut software worked using:
> >
> > driver = newhidups
> > port = auto
>
> Did you set up udev (or hotplug) to change ownership of the USB node
> for the UPS (probably under either /proc/bus/usb or /dev/bus/usb)? See
> scripts/udev or scripts/hotplug as appropriate.

I had not done that. The source did not have scripts/udev but did have
scripts/hotplug. I read the README for scripts/hotplug and installed the 2
files as follows:
[root]->l /etc/hotplug/usb
total 8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  478 Jun  3 14:07 libhidups
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1502 Jun  3 14:08 libhid.usermap

It also said: call 'update-usb.usermap' or equivalent if needed
Using yum whatprovides indicates that there are no packages that provide
 this. I do not know what the equivalent would be.??

> Are you installing from source or RPMs?

I downloaded the 2.0.4 source tar.gz from networkupstools.org.

> > Using the same version of nut with the same config files on CentOS5, I
> > get the following error output from 'upsdrvctl':
> >
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> > Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.4)
> >
> > No matching USB/HID UPS found
> > Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
> If the udev/hotplug idea doesn't work, try starting the driver
> manually to see what the error is:
>
> /path/to/newhidups -a <name-of-ups> -DD

I ran the /etc/hotlug/usb/libhidups manually and verified the results.
Then ran:
/usr/local/ups/bin/newhidups -a ups -DD displays:

Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.4)

debug level is '2'
Checking device (050D/0375) (001/005)
- VendorID: 050d
- ProductID: 0375
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation not
permitted)
Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
No appropriate HID device found
No matching USB/HID UPS found

The command '[root]->l /proc/bus/usb/001' displays:

total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 43 May 28 07:26 001
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57 May 28 07:26 003
-rw-r--r-- 1 ups ups 52 Jun  3 14:22 005

The last entry appears to be the UPS as that is the time I un-pluged and
re-pluged the ups.

Thanks,

David