[Nut-upsuser] APCsmart serial port problem

Patrick Nolan Patrick.Nolan at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 4 23:45:55 UTC 2007

Thomas Kear wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007, Patrick Nolan wrote:
>> [myups]
>>          driver = apcsmart
>>          port = /dev/ttyS0
>>          cable = 940-0095B
>>          sdtype = 0
>

> I've got a Smart-UPS 700 (SU700I, about 5 years old) working with a more or
> less identical upsd.conf, however because person I bought it from had
> misplaced the serial cable, I have a pair of DB9-RJ45 adapters and a short
> network cable.
>
> You might get some more helpful error messages if you try and start apcsmart
> manually.
>
> # /lib/nut/apcsmart -D -a myups

[root@]# ./apcsmart -DD -a myups -u root
Network UPS Tools (version 2.0.5) - APC Smart protocol driver
         Driver version 1.99.8, command table version 2.0
debug level is '2'
Attempting firmware lookup
Firmware: [665.6.D]
Not found in table - trying normal method
APC - Attempting to find command set
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
Detected Smart-UPS [(null)] on /dev/ttyS0
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
dstate_init: sock /var/state/ups/myups open on fd 5
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
^C
Signal 2: exiting

It looks as if it was able to find a firmware version string which
isn't recognized.  Then the communication is lost.

I went with -u root because the ownership on ttyS0 keeps changing.
I got tired of typing chown each time.  If we assume that that
problem can be ignored for the moment, it looks as if there really is
a cable problem.  APC says that the 940-1524 is the right cable
for smart communication.  In fact, it's the only one they shipped
with the UPS.  Does anyone have experience with this?

I wonder if I should buy a 940-0024 to be sure I have the right cable?