[Nut-upsuser] can't make mustek powermust 600usb work

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 01:34:13 UTC 2007

On 6/10/07, Alex Girchenko <gsmdib at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. There's definitely smth I've got to learn yet :).
> Trying to run the command you provided would return an error saying it
> can't open port.
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2007-06-11 01:55 /dev/ttyS0
> chmod 777 would sort the issue out, but I'm still curious why isn't
> 'rw' for a program running under a root account enough? I'd be very
> thankful if you could give a hint on this.
> Anyways, thanks for your help!

It drops root privileges. I forget what the Ubuntu (Debian)
documentation suggests as a permanent fix, but it should be in
/usr/share/doc/nut/README.Debian or something similar.

There is also a more general discussion of when NUT drops root
privileges in some of the install documentation.

--
- Charles Lepple