[Nut-upsuser] Spurious shutdown

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 22:39:19 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/27/07, Darren Salt <linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I had a brief power interruption this evening which caused a spurious
> > shutdown. The system log contains a report of "low battery" status; however,
> > checking the battery soon after powering up again showed a fairly typical 80%
> > charge. The UPS had, however, been beeping to indicate imminent shutdown,
> > which is slightly suspicious.
> <---SNIP---
> > At present, I'm not certain whether this is a bug in nut or a problem with
> > the UPS.
>
> Simple test - while watching the reported status from the UPS, pull the plug :)

I actually had a similar problem last night, but it went down from 70%
so quickly that I never saw the status change to LB, except in the
logs.

The sudden load on a battery when the power fails can really stress
it, especially if it's more load than the periodic self-test applies.

Darren: how old is the battery?

--
- Charles Lepple