[Nut-upsuser] Spurious shutdown

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 01:15:37 UTC 2007

I demand that Charles Lepple may or may not have written...

> On 6/27/07, Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/27/07, Darren Salt <linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> wrote:

That would be... 6/3/09 after normalisation, right? :-)

>>> I had a brief power interruption this evening which caused a spurious
>>> shutdown. The system log contains a report of "low battery" status;
>>> however, checking the battery soon after powering up again showed a
>>> fairly typical 80% charge. The UPS had, however, been beeping to
>>> indicate imminent shutdown, which is slightly suspicious.
>> <---SNIP---
>>> At present, I'm not certain whether this is a bug in nut or a problem
>>> with the UPS.
>> Simple test - while watching the reported status from the UPS, pull the
>> plug :)

The UPS has a built-in test facility; maybe I should use it...

> I actually had a similar problem last night, but it went down from 70%
> so quickly that I never saw the status change to LB, except in the logs.

> The sudden load on a battery when the power fails can really stress
> it, especially if it's more load than the periodic self-test applies.

> Darren: how old is the battery?

3 years old.

There's no indication from the unit itself that the battery needs to be
replaced; the corresponding LED isn't lit. However, maybe that's due to lack
of (recent) tests; I'll do some soonish.

Should I need to replace the battery, well, they're cheap enough; less than
£20, and shouldn't be much more with delivery. (And I've just noticed that
the manual says that battery life is between 3 and 5 years...)

|   Kill all extremists!

Lend money to a bad debtor and he will hate you.