[Nut-upsuser] Spurious shutdown

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 16:42:09 UTC 2007

I demand that Arjen de Korte may or may not have written...

>>> Darren: how old is the battery?
>> 3 years old.

> If the battery is at the same temperature as reported (50 degrees), that
> battery definitly needs replacement. For each 10 degrees above the nominal
> specified temperature (usually in the 25 - 30 degrees range), the life
> expectancy of the battery is halved. So in your case, you should expect to
> get a service life of about one year only.

I'll have to try to rearrange things... that could be difficult :-)

>> There's no indication from the unit itself that the battery needs to be
>> replaced; the corresponding LED isn't lit. However, maybe that's due to
>> lack of (recent) tests; I'll do some soonish.

> Be prepared that the capacity of the battery is probably *very* low, so
> you may want bring the systems it is powering to a state where all
> filesystems are mounted read-only, in order to prevent disaster.

The "replace battery" LED was lit, and the UPS switched back to mains without
problem. The battery has now been replaced.

[snip]
| + Lobby friends, family, business, government.    WE'RE KILLING THE PLANET.

Any given program will expand to fill all available memory.