[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite SU6000RT4U - not supported?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:31:04 CET 2007

On 3/9/07, Kevin DeGraaf <kevin at kdegraaf.net> wrote:
> > Install libusb-dev and re-run "./configure".
>
> *sigh*  Sorry about missing that.

No problem - if you're not expecting it, the split between libfoo and
libfoo-dev is a little confusing.

> With libusb-dev installed and 2.0.5 successfully built, I receive this
> error when I run *without* the "explore" option:
>
> === BEGIN ===
> # newhidups -DD -u root -a tl6000
> This particular Tripp Lite device (09ae/4002) is not (or perhaps not
> yet) supported by newhidups. First try the tripplite_usb driver. If
> this fails, please write to the NUT developer's mailing list.
> === END ===
>
> The tripplite_usb driver doesn't match this UPS either, and doesn't
> support the "explore" option.

Given the "explore" output below, this UPS won't work with
tripplite_usb. It should work with newhidups at some point, though.

> Turning on "exploration" with newhidups yields promising results:
>
> === BEGIN ===
> # newhidups -DD -u root -x explore -x vendorid=09ae -a tl6000
> [ ... snipped ... ]
> Detected a UPS: Tripp Lite      /TRIPP LITE UPS
> Using subdriver: EXPLORE HID 0.1
> [ ... Snipped; full output at http://kdegraaf.net/nut3.txt ... ]
> === END ===

Peter: Should we change the newhidups vs tripplite_usb advice based on
the size of the report descriptor? All of the Tripp Lite
serial-over-USB units have very small report descriptors.

from Kevin's log: Report Descriptor size = 1208

> Is it possible/advisable to put NUT into production with newhidups
> running in "exploratory" mode?

I will defer to the others on this, but chances are that running upsc
against the driver in "explore" mode will not yield anything capable
of shutting the system down.

--
- Charles Lepple